Dr Debashish Jena holds an FPM in Operations Management from IIM Lucknow, and a BE in Mechanical Engg from NIT Allahabad. Prior to joining academics, he was a management consultant at National Productivity Council, Govt. of India. He has close to 15 years of professional experience in consulting, teaching and research.
At DoMS, RGIPT he teaches MBA courses on Operations Management, Supply Chain Management, Service Operations Management, Project Management and Decision Sciences. In addition, he also delivers guest lecturers at IIM Kashipur.
He maintains a strong desire to be constantly challenged by real-world problems, and a passion for actionable research and consulting. Dr Jena’s research and consulting expertise spans real-world production planning and scheduling, mixed-model planning in manufacturing and service industries, capacity sensitive product/service planning and simulation, logistics and supply chain modeling, crew planning and allocation models, supply chain contracts design, multi-sourcing models, process improvement and innovation etc. He leverages simulation and optimization techniques to improve processes and systems in a variety of industries.
He has extensive consulting experience in a diverse range of business environments: from Manufacturing and Process Industries to Energy and Services, and with clients that include for several MNCs, PSUs, Govt. Departments and Pvt. Sector organizations.
- FPM in Operations Management, IIM Lucknow, 2012
- PGD Industrial Engg , National Productivity Council (NPC), 1998
- BE Mechanical, NIT Allahabad , 1995
- Operations Management
- Supply Chain Management
- Service Operations Management
- Lean Operations Management
- Decision Sciences
- Project Management
- Operations Strategy
- “ A real-world MBA course timetabling application using Excel VBA” at the XIX Annual Conference of Society of Operations Management, to be held at IIM, Calcutta, India, Dec 2015
- “Multi-stage hybrid re-entrant flow shop planning with application to aluminum rolled product”, (with Srivastava R. K.) at the 21st POMS Annual Conference, Vancouver, 2010.
- “Process Improvement in Precision Component Manufacturing: A Case Based Approach”(with Srivastava R. K.) Proceedings of the International Multi Conference of Engineers and Computer Scientists, Vol- II, March 16-18, 2011, Hong Kong
- “A Constraint Programming Approach to a Re-entrant Line problem with time lags and partial resource flexibility” (with Srivastava R. K.) at the XIV Annual Conference of Society of Operations Management, held at NITIE, Mumbai, India, Dec 2010
- “General Precedence based continuous time planning model for Aluminium rolled product manufacturing” (with Srivastava R. K.), at the XIII Annual Conference of Society of Operations Management, held at IIT, Madras, India, 2009
- “Tactical insights from Joint Crew allocation and Oven scheduling: A case study” (with Srivastava R. K.), at the XII Annual Conference of Society of Operations Management, held at IIT , Kanpur, India, 2008
Pedagogical Case Studies
- Jena, D. & Srivastava, R.K. “Watch Dial Manufacturing: Design, Operation and Improvement”, IIML Case Series: 2009-10/ 01
- Jena, D. & Srivastava, R.K. “Improving Operations in Watch Dial Manufacturing”, IIML Case Series: 2009-10/ 02
- Mixed Model Assembly Sequencing on a Real-world Refrigerator Assembly Line
- A case of Inventory planning and simulation at a Diagnostic Laboratory
- Crew planning and allocation at a Malt Food Processing Plant
- Insights from multistage planning at real-world Aluminum Rolling Plant
- Lean Operations practices and process
- Process Improvements and automation
- Production and Inventory planning and control
- Plant capacity analysis and simulation
- Production Planning and scheduling
- Constraint based planning and scheduling
- Production line simulation
- Product mix planning and optimization
- Manpower planning and allocation
- Supply Chain Network Design and Optimization
- Design of Contracts
- Procurement and sourcing policy development and simulation
- Comprehensive logistics modeling
- Demand forecasting
- Excel VBA-based modeling, simulation and optimization
Cadbury India, NTPC, NALCO, IOCL, GAP International, Rail Coach Factory, Indian Railways; Hero Cycles and suppliers (Bicycle component cluster), Auto-component Lean cluster-Ashok Leyland, Kamla Dials , Gabriel Industries; MRKFED Punjab, MILK FED Punjab, APDRP (Ministry of Power), Leather Industry (Ministry of Leather), ESI Hospitals, Dept. of Irrigation- Govt. of Punjab, Office of the Advocate General of Punjab etc.